Translate

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Luke 5: 1-11 Fishers of Men

For today's readings http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020716.cfm

My apologies dear friends for my tardy blog.  I ask prayers for a dear friend who died this morning.  Her name is Grace.  Most of my day was spent making telephone calls to those I was to contact when she died.

In today's Gospel we read about how Simon Peter and the others were called to be fishers of men.  As experienced fishermen they knew their business.  Yet Jesus was calling them to something more.  In my youth I read Siddhartha by Herman Hess.  I cannot forget his use of the water to illustrate spiritual growth.  Being in the deep, that wide unknown, alone with God, what a difficult thing to describe.  This is where Apostles were led by Jesus, our Lord calling to them.  How much spiritual wisdom and teaching is imparted to them, and yet we hear it in simplified terms as they will be fishers of men, and will catch more than their nets will hold.  We are likewise taught by our teachers, in a great line extending to these Apostles to also be fishers of men.  My the children being taught yesterday this could come in many ways: being there for others, celebrating birthdays, blessings family and friends, encouraging each other especially in faith.  Basically we do this through living a Christian life.

(Photo from private collection.  All rights reserved)


No comments:

Post a Comment